New Government legislation is now in place for yellow box junctions..
It’s coming to a road near you!
The Government last year stated it was expected to allow all authorities in England to carry out enforcement of moving traffic offences, such as stopping in yellow box junctions.
What is a yellow box junction?
A box junction is a traffic control measure designed to prevent gridlock at junctions. They’re easy to recognise – in the UK, it’s a yellow box filled with criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road.
Under the rules of the Highway Code, you’re not allowed to enter the yellow box unless your exit is clear and there is enough space on the other side of the junction for your car to clear the box completely without stopping.
There is an exception; if you want to turn right, you are allowed to enter the box and wait if you’re prevented from turning by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. It’s perfectly legal for you to wait on the yellow criss-cross provided your exit road is clear.
Is this happening near you? It Reading it starts on Monday 20th February
The list below is where all of the box junctions in Reading are, not all affected straight away
- Junction of London Street with Queen’s Road
- Junction of Oxford Road with Bedford Road
- Junction of Oxford Road with Grovelands Road
- Junction of Church Street with Church Road
- The Oracle Gyratory
- Junction of London road with Eldon Road and Craven road
- Junction of Queens road and Sidmouth Street
- Junction of Kings Road with Orts Road and Eldon Road
- Junction of Wokingham Road with London Road
- Junction of London Road with Chomeley Road
- Junction of London Road with Kendrick Road
- Junction of A33 and Rose Kiln Lane
- Junction of Bath Road and Berkeley Avenue
- Junction of Bath Road and Burghfield Road
- Junction of A329 and the A33
What are your thoughts on this? Take a look at the news here for the fines, how it works, and more…
Spread the word so every driver is aware of this.
At Always Pass we’ll teach you to drive safely and keep up to date with all the new rules. If you’re thinking about getting driving lessons why not get in touch today?